Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Grocer

Who knew finding a good grocery store in the Boston area would be an arduous process involving way too much time spent on Yelp.com?  There are many many grocery stores to choose from, but the quality of the produce and the overall experience varies greatly.  I still have yet to find a one-stop shop but I'm getting closer.  Many of you Bostonians have heard about the glory that is Russo's.  Their produce selection and quality is really great.  And the fresh baked cinnamon rugelachs??  Yowza. Last time I got a box of those, I almost had to follow it up with buying a pair of elastic waist pants.  Russo's is great, if only it was a little closer to my home.

Enter...Wilson's Farm in Lexington.  Lo and behold, it's just as great (if not better!) as Russo's but closer to home!  Hooray!  That's the great thing about Boston, there are SO MANY options for everything.  Thanks to John and Sophia for turning me onto Wilson's.

Wilson's Farm was founded by Irish immigrants and has been in operation at its current location since 1884, so they must be doing something right.  Like making the best apple cider donut I've ever tasted.  I happened to be at Wilson's with about 5,000 others on Halloween weekend, but the payoff of having to wait a few minutes in line for a fresh donut was that no more than two minutes passed between the doughnut coming out of the fryer and my consuming it.

Other goodies I got there were fresh raspberries and the ingredients for a delicious Arugula Pear Salad.  Simply toss fresh arugula leaves with a little bit of olive oil, salt & pepper, a chopped pear (apples are good too), some chopped nuts, and fresh grated parmesan cheese. Yum. That makes up for the donut(s) right??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from each and everyone of you :)